Con·fi·dence – noun; defined by Merriam-Webster
- a feeling or belief that you can do something well or succeed at something
- a feeling or consciousness of one’s powers or of reliance on one’s circumstances
- the quality or state of being certain
Every now and then we can all use a healthy dose of self-confidence, especially since our state of confidence ebbs and flows on a daily basis throughout the course of a lifetime. So what variables do we face that can undermine our security causing us to feel unsure of ourselves?
Whether it’s a transitional time that we’re going through…a change in career, a divorce, or a new move, these all have the ability to challenge our confidence causing additional stress in our lives. In fact, whenever we try something new or venture out of our comfort zone there’s a tendency to experience a sense of unease, resulting in a drop in our level of confidence.
Anytime you want to establish a solid foundation for your inner self or just need a quick boost, refer to the following action steps:
1. Let go of outcomes. The more you hold on to something with a strong need to control you actively create a mindset that is based on the fear of uncertainty, thus perpetuating a lack of confidence. Focus more on the journey by putting your best foot forward and the rest will take care of itself. Let the chips fall where they may!
2. Go easy on yourself when you are trying something new, whether you’re attending an event for the first time or engaging in a new physical activity. “Act as if” by remembering a time when you felt very confident. Access that confident memory and you will be able to create that feeling again.
3. Allow yourself to be engaged and passionate about something. If you love cooking – go for it! If you love rock climbing go for it! The more you fill yourself up with what you’re passionate about you will create a sense of aliveness and inner power.
4. Be consistent, congruent and honest in how you show up in life. It’s about being impeccable with your word. When you demonstrate these qualities you can be assured of an inner core that is unshakable.
5. Be committed to yourself first, before you commit to another. Remember those times that you abandoned and compromised yourself causing your confidence and self-esteem to erode over time? Make a conscious decision to always honor yourself and this will lead you to a level of trust and self-empowerment that will keep you grounded no matter what happens.
6. Learn and master a particular skill and watch your self-esteem get bolstered.
7. Walk this way…yes, your gait and physical body have everything to do with confidence. Stand erect with good posture and walk with a spring in your step, and watch your confidence soar.
8. Speak the right words. Choose your words wisely by using those that are energizing and positive. Complain less, and love more.
9. Eat right – a healthy diet will support your body from the inside out.
10. Last but not least…place a call to your “good” mom. You know, that person in your life that always supports you no matter what. Let them validate you, and make you feel special by reminding you of all your positive qualities. It’s that unconditional love that makes us feel good.
Leave a Reply