As a coach, I’m often asked about goals and how to better achieve them. With that in mind, I decided to put together a list of my best secrets to share with you so that you can get the results you are seeking.
- Start by defining your goal(s). For some of us this can be challenging because we find it easier to express what we don’t want, rather than focusing on what we do want. However, getting clear on what you do want to achieve is key and the decision to commit to your goal is the first step. When defining your goal, think about the following question. Are you going after something that makes you happy, or are you chasing after someone else’s dream? Oftentimes, we become misguided by our family and society’s version of what should make us happy and successful.
- Whether your goal is to modify your behavior and get to sleep earlier or to start a home-based business, use the S.M.A.R.T. system. S.M.A.R.T. is an acronym that stands for a technique, which outlines the necessary criteria to accomplish your goals.
S.M.A.R.T. is defined as follows:
Specific – Define the goal. What will it accomplish?
Measurable – How will you know that you reached this goal? List indicators that will let you know that you’ve achieved it.
Achievable – Is this goal possible? Have others been able to accomplish it?
Relevant – What is the benefit of achieving this goal? What is the result you will get?
Time-Bound – What is the expected completion date for this goal while factoring in a reasonable sense of urgency?
- Thinking about your goal is great, but to make it happen you have to take the right action steps to create it. Once you outline your goal, define the specific actions and tasks that you will take to achieve it. Be sure to include the timing for each step.
- Make sure that the action steps you take are in alignment with the goal that you want to accomplish. The behaviors that you practice everyday must lead you closer to what you’re looking to achieve rather than further away.
- Taking the first step can be the hardest. To get motivated, have a clear definition of why you want to achieve this goal. On the flip side, define what it will cost you if you don’t accomplish it.
- Create an environment of success by enlisting the help of family, friends and professionals who can offer encouraging, positive support and knowledge.
- Refrain from sharing your goal with naysayers who can negatively impact you and get you off track.
- What might get in your way? At times life can send us challenges, whether it’s an aging parent or a child home with the flu for a week. It’s easy to use these excuses to throw in the towel, but don’t sabotage yourself this way. Instead, give yourself compassion knowing that you’re doing the best you can under the circumstances. You don’t have to do everything perfectly. But you do have to remember the commitment to yourself and your goal, so it’s important to take a forward action step as soon as possible so you don’t lose too much momentum.
- Being passionate about your goal is key. Your passion has to be stronger than your fears. Passion helps carry you through when the going gets tough and when the fear can get in your way.
- Cultivate the right mindset. Maintain a positive focus and think about your desired results especially during those times when you may feel discouraged.
- Have fun in the process. Don’t define your life and happiness on whether you achieve the goal or not. Maintain your inner power so that you are bigger than your goal instead of making the goal more powerful than you.
- Don’t give up when you experience a setback or if you fail to take an action step. Remember you are creating something new that requires learning, which often takes longer than expected. Just like developing a muscle, this will get easier and more consistent over time.
- It’s important to continually review your goal in order to make adjustments when necessary. Be open-minded. As you gain new information, learn how to effectively course correct in order to avoid potential obstacles that can get in your way.
- Reward and celebrate yourself while you acknowledge your successes along the way as you lead up to your goal.
Wishing you an abundance of success and support as you accomplish your goals!